Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

The Library Designs of Sir Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson

The Library Designs of Sir Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson Clive B. Fenton Sir Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson, enjoyed a conspicuous presence on the Scottish architectural scene, undertaking a wide range of notable commissions.1 One field in which they became acknowledged as specialists was that of library design. This expertise was developed during the design process for their first such job, the University of Edinburgh's Main Library, which received a RIBA award (1968) and a Civic Trust Commendation (1969). It led to an interesting group of libraries executed during the 1960s and 1970s. In this paper, both the well-known and more obscure libraries and library projects of Spence, Glover & Ferguson are discussed.2 The post-Second World War era was a boom period for Scottish architecture, particularly because of the volume of public sector commissions. Mass provision of housing, school and university expansion, the requirements of the National Health Service, the creation of the New Towns and the redevelopment of existing city centres resulted in an unprecedented volume of construction which reached its peak during the mid-1960s. Basil Spence (1907­76) was one of the architects well placed to take advantage of this situation, having established a strong reputation in the 1930s with a variety of domestic, commercial, local http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Architectural Heritage Edinburgh University Press

The Library Designs of Sir Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson

Architectural Heritage , Volume 24 (1): 87 – Nov 1, 2013

Loading next page...
 
/lp/edinburgh-university-press/the-library-designs-of-sir-basil-spence-glover-ferguson-7x8Df48KNv
Publisher
Edinburgh University Press
Copyright
© The Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland, 2013
Subject
Historical Studies
ISSN
1350-7524
eISSN
1755-1641
DOI
10.3366/arch.2013.0047
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

Clive B. Fenton Sir Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson, enjoyed a conspicuous presence on the Scottish architectural scene, undertaking a wide range of notable commissions.1 One field in which they became acknowledged as specialists was that of library design. This expertise was developed during the design process for their first such job, the University of Edinburgh's Main Library, which received a RIBA award (1968) and a Civic Trust Commendation (1969). It led to an interesting group of libraries executed during the 1960s and 1970s. In this paper, both the well-known and more obscure libraries and library projects of Spence, Glover & Ferguson are discussed.2 The post-Second World War era was a boom period for Scottish architecture, particularly because of the volume of public sector commissions. Mass provision of housing, school and university expansion, the requirements of the National Health Service, the creation of the New Towns and the redevelopment of existing city centres resulted in an unprecedented volume of construction which reached its peak during the mid-1960s. Basil Spence (1907­76) was one of the architects well placed to take advantage of this situation, having established a strong reputation in the 1930s with a variety of domestic, commercial, local

Journal

Architectural HeritageEdinburgh University Press

Published: Nov 1, 2013

There are no references for this article.