Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

St Columba's, Glenrothes: A post-war design laboratory for reformed worship

St Columba's, Glenrothes: A post-war design laboratory for reformed worship Wheeler & Sproson's design for St Columba's, Glenrothes (1958–62) proved to be a prestigious and liturgically-experimental one. This paper examines the circumstances surrounding its original commission, highlighting the significance of the project for Glenrothes New Town, Wheeler & Sproson and the Church of Scotland. ‘For a great opportunity for effective work has opened and there is much opposition…" (Rev. Dr William Stevenson, St Columba's dedication service, 14 April 1961) ‘At 28 minutes past nine every night of the week, the bell of St Columba's Church in Glenrothes is set ringing by an electric motor controlled by a clock, and about 100 members of the congregation, by ones and twos and threes, converge on the church for evening prayers…in the nightly gathering of worshippers walking in towards the church at the Town Centre, there is something that touches deep springs of Scottish history and tradition. And if this were to become the spirit of the New Towns they would make undying history!’ (The Scotsman, 24 June 1961) http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Architectural Heritage Edinburgh University Press

St Columba's, Glenrothes: A post-war design laboratory for reformed worship

Architectural Heritage , Volume 12 (12): 66 – Jan 1, 2001

Loading next page...
 
/lp/edinburgh-university-press/st-columba-s-glenrothes-a-post-war-design-laboratory-for-reformed-oP8wE39TWp
Publisher
Edinburgh University Press
Copyright
Copyright © Edinburgh University Press
ISSN
1350-7524
eISSN
1755-1641
DOI
10.3366/arch.2001.0006
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

Wheeler & Sproson's design for St Columba's, Glenrothes (1958–62) proved to be a prestigious and liturgically-experimental one. This paper examines the circumstances surrounding its original commission, highlighting the significance of the project for Glenrothes New Town, Wheeler & Sproson and the Church of Scotland. ‘For a great opportunity for effective work has opened and there is much opposition…" (Rev. Dr William Stevenson, St Columba's dedication service, 14 April 1961) ‘At 28 minutes past nine every night of the week, the bell of St Columba's Church in Glenrothes is set ringing by an electric motor controlled by a clock, and about 100 members of the congregation, by ones and twos and threes, converge on the church for evening prayers…in the nightly gathering of worshippers walking in towards the church at the Town Centre, there is something that touches deep springs of Scottish history and tradition. And if this were to become the spirit of the New Towns they would make undying history!’ (The Scotsman, 24 June 1961)

Journal

Architectural HeritageEdinburgh University Press

Published: Jan 1, 2001

There are no references for this article.