Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

More a Trustee than a Proprietor: The Edinburgh New Town Conservation Committee

More a Trustee than a Proprietor: The Edinburgh New Town Conservation Committee Desmond Hodges and John Knight The story of establishing the Edinburgh New Town Conservation Committee (ENTCC) is one of shared interests, growing technical skills, friendship and leadership which over the last 40 years saved Edinburgh’s New Town from creeping decay. In this paper, Desmond Hodges, the first director of ENTCC, describes the setting-up of the body and how it operated until amalgamation as part of Edinburgh World Heritage in 1999; and John Knight, founder of the Fettes Row Association, tells the story of how the first major ENTCC project in that street was tackled and accorded a royal seal of approval. In 1767 a plan drawn by the young James Craig was adopted by the Town Council as the layout of the First New Town. The development to the north and east expanded Craig’s New Town over the next fifty years to become the area we know as the New Town today. As they found it convenient to their way of living, the Victorians expanded it westwards with further crescents and terraces adjacent to the New Town’s largest set-piece, St. Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral (1871). Two hundred years after the adoption of Craig’s plan, a 1967 exhibition called 200 http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Architectural Heritage Edinburgh University Press

More a Trustee than a Proprietor: The Edinburgh New Town Conservation Committee

Architectural Heritage , Volume 21 (1): 49 – Nov 1, 2010

Loading next page...
 
/lp/edinburgh-university-press/more-a-trustee-than-a-proprietor-the-edinburgh-new-town-conservation-olCyaqx0CI
Publisher
Edinburgh University Press
Copyright
© The Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland, 2011
Subject
Historical Studies
ISSN
1350-7524
eISSN
1755-1641
DOI
10.3366/arch.2011.0005
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

Desmond Hodges and John Knight The story of establishing the Edinburgh New Town Conservation Committee (ENTCC) is one of shared interests, growing technical skills, friendship and leadership which over the last 40 years saved Edinburgh’s New Town from creeping decay. In this paper, Desmond Hodges, the first director of ENTCC, describes the setting-up of the body and how it operated until amalgamation as part of Edinburgh World Heritage in 1999; and John Knight, founder of the Fettes Row Association, tells the story of how the first major ENTCC project in that street was tackled and accorded a royal seal of approval. In 1767 a plan drawn by the young James Craig was adopted by the Town Council as the layout of the First New Town. The development to the north and east expanded Craig’s New Town over the next fifty years to become the area we know as the New Town today. As they found it convenient to their way of living, the Victorians expanded it westwards with further crescents and terraces adjacent to the New Town’s largest set-piece, St. Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral (1871). Two hundred years after the adoption of Craig’s plan, a 1967 exhibition called 200

Journal

Architectural HeritageEdinburgh University Press

Published: Nov 1, 2010

There are no references for this article.