Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

The Challenge of Enterocutaneous Fistulae

The Challenge of Enterocutaneous Fistulae ARS Medica Tomitana - 2014; 3(78): 123 - 128 10.2478/arsm-2014-0022 Berro A., Savin Silvia, Costea D., Tomita Maria, Nichifor Ana Maria, Nitu Th.S., Savin M., Sarbu V. Faculty of medicine, University “Ovidius” Constanţa ABSTRACT Introduction During a period of three years (01.01.2009-31.12.2011), 17 cases of enterocutaneous fistulas arising from the small intestine were managed. The majority of the fistulas (76%) resulted from surgical Management of small intestinal fistulas complications. There were 6 females and 11 male patients. The mean age of the patients was 40 years. is associated with high morbidity and mortality, For 9 out of 17 patients (52%) the fistulae arose from the primarily due to inadequate nutrition, sepsis, fluid and proximal small gut (duodenum and jejunum) and in the electrolyte disturbance and skin digestion [1]. The remaining 48%, from the ileum. treatment, even if successful, may require prolonged Octreotide was used for 11/17 patients (64%). Enteral hospitalization. nutrition was used for 9/17 patients (52%) ,while re-feed The spectrum of etiology is changing from from the proximal gut fistulae was used in 4/9 patients the once common, spontaneous extension of intra- (44%) in order to maintain the nutrition of the above abdominal disease in the form of http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png ARS Medica Tomitana de Gruyter

Loading next page...
 
/lp/de-gruyter/the-challenge-of-enterocutaneous-fistulae-xUKdD9yX9o
Publisher
de Gruyter
Copyright
Sciendo is a De Gruyter company © 2018. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Powered by PubFactory
ISSN
1841-4036
DOI
10.2478/arsm-2014-0022
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

ARS Medica Tomitana - 2014; 3(78): 123 - 128 10.2478/arsm-2014-0022 Berro A., Savin Silvia, Costea D., Tomita Maria, Nichifor Ana Maria, Nitu Th.S., Savin M., Sarbu V. Faculty of medicine, University “Ovidius” Constanţa ABSTRACT Introduction During a period of three years (01.01.2009-31.12.2011), 17 cases of enterocutaneous fistulas arising from the small intestine were managed. The majority of the fistulas (76%) resulted from surgical Management of small intestinal fistulas complications. There were 6 females and 11 male patients. The mean age of the patients was 40 years. is associated with high morbidity and mortality, For 9 out of 17 patients (52%) the fistulae arose from the primarily due to inadequate nutrition, sepsis, fluid and proximal small gut (duodenum and jejunum) and in the electrolyte disturbance and skin digestion [1]. The remaining 48%, from the ileum. treatment, even if successful, may require prolonged Octreotide was used for 11/17 patients (64%). Enteral hospitalization. nutrition was used for 9/17 patients (52%) ,while re-feed The spectrum of etiology is changing from from the proximal gut fistulae was used in 4/9 patients the once common, spontaneous extension of intra- (44%) in order to maintain the nutrition of the above abdominal disease in the form of

Journal

ARS Medica Tomitanade Gruyter

Published: Jan 31, 2015

Keywords: Medicine; Clinical Medicine; Clinical Medicine, other

References