Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

‘Good-Neighborhood’ and Confessional Coexistence in Augsburg’s Holy Cross Quarter, 1548–1629

‘Good-Neighborhood’ and Confessional Coexistence in Augsburg’s Holy Cross Quarter, 1548–1629 ‘Good-Neighborhood’ and Confessional Coexistence in Augsburg’s Holy Cross Quarter, 1548–1629 By Emily Fisher Gray On Sunday, July 20th, 1550, the evangelical parishioners of Holy Cross in Augsburg met at a local preaching house to hear the weekly sermon. As one of only a few sites for evangelical worship in the recently re-Catholicized city, the congregants overflowed the small preaching house of Holy Cross and filled the narrow church yard separating the building from the larger Catholic monastery church of Holy Cross. The close proximity of the two churches meant that the sounds of evangelical worship wafted out of the open doors and windows and reached the ears, not only of those who came to participate in the service, but alsotheAugustinianmonkswhooccupiedthemonasteryandclaimedownership and control of both church buildings and the space between them. Due to the provisions of the Augsburg Interim of 1548, the monks could do nothing to prevent the regular invasion of their sacred property by evangelical sermons, ri- tuals, and music. But on that July Sunday, two young men associated with the monastery decided to reassert Catholic control over the space. They brought a ball out onto the church yard during the evangelical sermon and proceeded to runandplayloudly,throwingtheballatthefeetoftheworshippersinwhatcity http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Archiv für Reformationsgeschichte - Archive for Reformation History de Gruyter

‘Good-Neighborhood’ and Confessional Coexistence in Augsburg’s Holy Cross Quarter, 1548–1629

Loading next page...
 
/lp/de-gruyter/good-neighborhood-and-confessional-coexistence-in-augsburg-s-holy-bZflFPnmOC
Publisher
de Gruyter
Copyright
© 2021 by Gütersloher Verlagshaus
eISSN
2198-0489
DOI
10.14315/arg-2016-1070104
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

‘Good-Neighborhood’ and Confessional Coexistence in Augsburg’s Holy Cross Quarter, 1548–1629 By Emily Fisher Gray On Sunday, July 20th, 1550, the evangelical parishioners of Holy Cross in Augsburg met at a local preaching house to hear the weekly sermon. As one of only a few sites for evangelical worship in the recently re-Catholicized city, the congregants overflowed the small preaching house of Holy Cross and filled the narrow church yard separating the building from the larger Catholic monastery church of Holy Cross. The close proximity of the two churches meant that the sounds of evangelical worship wafted out of the open doors and windows and reached the ears, not only of those who came to participate in the service, but alsotheAugustinianmonkswhooccupiedthemonasteryandclaimedownership and control of both church buildings and the space between them. Due to the provisions of the Augsburg Interim of 1548, the monks could do nothing to prevent the regular invasion of their sacred property by evangelical sermons, ri- tuals, and music. But on that July Sunday, two young men associated with the monastery decided to reassert Catholic control over the space. They brought a ball out onto the church yard during the evangelical sermon and proceeded to runandplayloudly,throwingtheballatthefeetoftheworshippersinwhatcity

Journal

Archiv für Reformationsgeschichte - Archive for Reformation Historyde Gruyter

Published: Oct 1, 2016

There are no references for this article.