Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

TWO GOLDEN BRACELETS FROM OLBIA IN THE WALTERS ART GALLERY

TWO GOLDEN BRACELETS FROM OLBIA IN THE WALTERS ART GALLERY TWO GOLDEN BRACELETS FROM OLBIA IN THE WALTERS ART GALLERY * M.YU. TREISTER 1. History of the Olbia bracelets and their acquisition by the Walters Art Gallery These bracelets (Figs. 1-2) probably originate from a rich burial of the Olbian necropolis, thought to date from the middle or the third quarter of the 1 st century AD. This burial, according to A.V. Oreshnikov, was clandestinely excavated by peasants in 1891. 1 However, another possibility is that they were found in another Olbian burial, at the Filipov Farm, that was plundered in 1913. This later location was studied in the same season by B.V. Pharmakovskii. 2 Although neither Oreshnikov nor Pharmakovskii mentioned the bracelets, R. Zahn has suggested that these two Olbian burial sites may have been one and the same. 3 The bracelets were acquired by P. Mavrogordato in 1913 who was told that they had come from a recently discovered burial at Olbia. This was said to coincide with the acquisition of some other objects of jewelry from the Ž rst Olbian burial plundered in 1891, along with several objects published by Pharmakovskii as having been found in 1913, including two necklaces with butter y-pendants, also in http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Ancient Civilizations from Scythia to Siberia Brill

TWO GOLDEN BRACELETS FROM OLBIA IN THE WALTERS ART GALLERY

Ancient Civilizations from Scythia to Siberia , Volume 8 (1-2): 17 – Jan 1, 2002

Loading next page...
 
/lp/brill/two-golden-bracelets-from-olbia-in-the-walters-art-gallery-08sAY3dOyO
Publisher
Brill
Copyright
© 2002 Koninklijke Brill NV, Leiden, The Netherlands
ISSN
0929-077X
eISSN
1570-0577
DOI
10.1163/157005702320376589
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

TWO GOLDEN BRACELETS FROM OLBIA IN THE WALTERS ART GALLERY * M.YU. TREISTER 1. History of the Olbia bracelets and their acquisition by the Walters Art Gallery These bracelets (Figs. 1-2) probably originate from a rich burial of the Olbian necropolis, thought to date from the middle or the third quarter of the 1 st century AD. This burial, according to A.V. Oreshnikov, was clandestinely excavated by peasants in 1891. 1 However, another possibility is that they were found in another Olbian burial, at the Filipov Farm, that was plundered in 1913. This later location was studied in the same season by B.V. Pharmakovskii. 2 Although neither Oreshnikov nor Pharmakovskii mentioned the bracelets, R. Zahn has suggested that these two Olbian burial sites may have been one and the same. 3 The bracelets were acquired by P. Mavrogordato in 1913 who was told that they had come from a recently discovered burial at Olbia. This was said to coincide with the acquisition of some other objects of jewelry from the Ž rst Olbian burial plundered in 1891, along with several objects published by Pharmakovskii as having been found in 1913, including two necklaces with butter y-pendants, also in

Journal

Ancient Civilizations from Scythia to SiberiaBrill

Published: Jan 1, 2002

There are no references for this article.