Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

The Collection of Classical Pottery Held in the Stavropol Museum of Local History

The Collection of Classical Pottery Held in the Stavropol Museum of Local History THE COLLECTION OF CLASSICAL POTTERY HELD IN THE STAVROPOL MUSEUM OF LOCAL HISTORY A.A. KUDRYAVTSEV, E.A. KUDRYAVTSEV and N.A. OKHONKO (Stavropol) In the collections of the Stavropol State Museum of Local History, named in honour of G.N. Prozritelev and G.K. Prave, there is an unpublished collection of Classical pottery imported from Greece and Greek colonies along the northern coast of the Black Sea. The main part of this not very large but highly significant collection consists of black-glaze and red-glaze kantharoi, kylikes (both painted and unpainted) and also red-clay pottery amphorae complete with stamps. For the most part these fragments were found in the burial grounds on the Stavropol Uplands consisting of tombs dating from the 5th-3rd centuries BC. In the 7th-6th centuries BC the central part of the Northern Caucasus foothills and the Kuban valley were one of the most important centres of Early Scythian culture, which was later to flourish so strikingly in sites to the North of the Black Sea and the Dnieper valley. In the 5th-3rd centuries BC within the territory of the Stavropol Uplands, as a result of the close interaction and mutual influence of the settled local tribes engaged in land-cultivation and http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Ancient Civilizations from Scythia to Siberia Brill

The Collection of Classical Pottery Held in the Stavropol Museum of Local History

Loading next page...
 
/lp/brill/the-collection-of-classical-pottery-held-in-the-stavropol-museum-of-NLSxPipwlQ
Publisher
Brill
Copyright
© 2000 Koninklijke Brill NV, Leiden, The Netherlands
ISSN
0929-077X
eISSN
1570-0577
DOI
10.1163/157005700X00104
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

THE COLLECTION OF CLASSICAL POTTERY HELD IN THE STAVROPOL MUSEUM OF LOCAL HISTORY A.A. KUDRYAVTSEV, E.A. KUDRYAVTSEV and N.A. OKHONKO (Stavropol) In the collections of the Stavropol State Museum of Local History, named in honour of G.N. Prozritelev and G.K. Prave, there is an unpublished collection of Classical pottery imported from Greece and Greek colonies along the northern coast of the Black Sea. The main part of this not very large but highly significant collection consists of black-glaze and red-glaze kantharoi, kylikes (both painted and unpainted) and also red-clay pottery amphorae complete with stamps. For the most part these fragments were found in the burial grounds on the Stavropol Uplands consisting of tombs dating from the 5th-3rd centuries BC. In the 7th-6th centuries BC the central part of the Northern Caucasus foothills and the Kuban valley were one of the most important centres of Early Scythian culture, which was later to flourish so strikingly in sites to the North of the Black Sea and the Dnieper valley. In the 5th-3rd centuries BC within the territory of the Stavropol Uplands, as a result of the close interaction and mutual influence of the settled local tribes engaged in land-cultivation and

Journal

Ancient Civilizations from Scythia to SiberiaBrill

Published: Jan 1, 2000

There are no references for this article.